Monday 12 March 2012

Early Peas

So, I like mice, but that doesn't mean I want them to decimate my peas. They used to cause a lot of damage, digging up the newly germinated pea and eating the remains of the seed. Decoy feeding worked well, putting a scattering of wheat seed down to distract them, but sowing indoors works even better.
I fill two pieces of old guttering with compost then pushed the peas in about an inch with a finger. Sitting in the greenhouse they don't take long to come up and the mice don't get a look in.
Now the weather is picking up, I put the peas out each morning to harden off and take them in at night. Next week, if the weather is still fine, they will get planted out. I just use a hoe to make a channel in the soil and then slide the peas in. For succession sowing I immediately refill the guttering and sow again. After doing that perhaps four times, I'll switch to direct sowing the peas. For whatever reason the mice don't seem to target the later sowings.

No comments:

Post a Comment