Monday 14 January 2013

New For 2012 - No. 2 - Ulluco


With the aid of a £5 off voucher to spend on Ebay, I invested in some small Ulluco tubers to grow. I had been eyeing them for some time, but they did seem expensive. I planted 8, 3 of which stayed in pots, and five were eventually planted outside. The plants grew well and looked quite attractive.
Those planted in the pots came back into the greenhouse in September, which turned out to be a good move. When I finally dug up the outside crop after the frost had killed them there was very little in the way of tubers, and what there was was heavily eaten, presumably by slugs. Those taken back under cover survived right into December and had about 30 tubers on each plant. unfortunately they were mostly not very big. They have earned themselves a place on this years growing list though, with a challenge to grow bigger. I wont be planting any outdoors this year, but will have some in pots, perhaps bigger pots, and will put some into the greenhouse border. Happily this year, I will have an extra greenhouse, so more room to experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment